Mystic Aquarium is pleased to offer another session of our High School Internship Program. This prestigious program will leverage the unique assets of the Aquarium to introduce students to a diversity of careers and career pathways. In this 8-week program specifically designed for students in grades 10 to 12, participants will work and study alongside the amazing professionals who advance our mission to inspire people to care for and protect our ocean planet through conservation, education, and research. Students will be mentored in small groups by our professional staff where they will develop a range of technical and interpersonal workforce skills including communication, collaboration, problem-solving, creativity, leadership, and other professional skills that provide an edge for resumes and interviews.
Specific internship highlights include job shadow opportunities with our animal care and conservation specialists, engagement in authentic research projects and educational marine science experiences. Additionally, interns will complete a study project that will fulfill service-learning requirements. This academic enrichment experience will focus on the following areas:
- Communication skills through interpretation of animal exhibits
- Public engagement in conservation through development of a social media project
- Research and scientific practices through behavioral studies and design of animal enrichment
- Animal husbandry and invertebrate aquaculture through horseshoe crab conservation research
A minimum number of students are required to run the program.
The internship is sold as an 8-week experience; weeks cannot be sold separately.
Mystic Aquarium has established guidelines to ensure student and educator health safety according to the State of Connecticut and CDC recommendations throughout the dates of the program.
- Open to students in grades 10-12
- Sessions will take place Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:00 – 5:30pm from September 26 through November 16, 2023
- Tuition for 8-week/16-session program: $750