Collegiate Experiential Learning Opportunities
For years, Mystic Aquarium has been included in college-accredited course outlines of academic institutions including UCONN, University of Rhode Island, Tufts University, and many others. We offer a variety of opportunities for students and institutions of higher education.
Enhance your syllabus with unique college-level classes at the Aquarium or live, virtual presentations broadcast into your class space by Mystic Aquarium Scientists. Note that significantly discounted admissions are offered to academic groups.
- Live, virtual presentation topics include the latest research in Long Island Sound ecology, marine conservation biology, and marine mammals.
- Researcher for a Day (RFAD)s are popular 90-minute lab intensive classes offered at the Aquarium. Topics include:
- Microbiology (hematology focused)
- Molecular Biology
- Biomedical (horseshoe crab focused)
Each 90-minute RFAD costs $150 for up to 25 students in addition to discounted admissions.
- Maximize your trip and discounted admissions by combining multiple classes to make a day-long program. Other college-level courses available include:
- Comparative Evolution
- Population Genetics & Species Survivorship
- Marine Animal Strandings & Veterinary Sciences
Mystic Aquarium has worked with several colleges and universities to design short courses specifically catering to their course goals, including for gap-year students and those in need of alternative learning strategies. Below are popular options previously designed.
- Scientific Inquiry – experiential learning designed to continue development of student proficiency in scientific inquiry, laboratory and field techniques, and scientific writing
- Field Conservation – brings students out in the field, actively participating in habitat restoration projects of Mystic Aquarium and our partners
- Lab Skills Development – advances students’ scientific skills from observational studies and microscope use to field based ecology studies and nutritional analyses
Mystic Aquarium has also designed full-term courses that are now offered through such institutions as University of Rhode Island, UCONN and Mitchell College. Below are current course options.
- Seminar on Marine Mammals – scientists discuss natural history, evolution, anatomy, physiology, husbandry, and conservation of marine mammals emphasizing current research
- Seminar in Marine Biodiversity and Conservation – experts highlight key topics and state-of-the-art research in marine biodiversity and conservation
Behind the Glass – innovatively engages students with STEM professionals, careers, and pathways; enriched with online learning, field programs, Aquarium visits, and outreach to achieve project goals
Mystic Aquarium offers mini-conferences each year, including those listed below. Keep an eye on our events page for future offerings.
- Animal Care & Vet Conference – work directly alongside Mystic Aquarium’s Animal Care and Veterinary team to go behind the scenes and participate in hands-on workshops and labs.
- Animal Training & Husbandry Conference – shadow animal care staff to understand the roles operant conditioning and psychology in caring for the Aquarium’s resident animals.
Internships at Mystic Aquarium – designed to provide college students and recent college graduates with a dynamic educational opportunity while simultaneously providing career experience. Click here for more information: Internships at Mystic Aquarium
Research Experiences for Undergraduates – a competitive paid internship collaborative between Mystic Aquarium and UCONN, Avery Point which focuses on cutting edge marine research. Click here to learn more: Research Experiences for Undergraduates
Mystic Aquarium’s Milne Ocean Science and Conservation Center can also serve as a host facility for your conference, workshop or other special event including:
- Group Leadership & Team Building Events
- Alumni Events
- Evaluation and Research Collaboration Opportunities
- Broader Impact and Educational Outreach Opportunities