High School Internships at Mystic Aquarium
- Open to students in grades 9-12
- Sessions take place Tuesdays and Thursdays, September 29 – November 19 from 3 – 6pm
- Tuition for 8-week program: $750
Mystic Aquarium is pleased to offer a new High School Internship Program. This prestigious program will leverage the unique assets of the Aquarium to introduce students to a diversity of careers and career pathways. In this 8-week program specifically designed for students in grades 9 to 12, participants will work and study alongside the amazing professionals who advance our mission to inspire people to care for and protect our ocean planet through conservation, education and research. Students will be mentored in small groups by our professional staff where they will develop a range of technical and interpersonal workforce skills including resume building, interviewing, communication and leadership.
Specific internship highlights include job shadow opportunities with our animal care and conservation specialists, engagement in authentic research projects and educational marine science experiences. Additionally, interns will complete an independent project that will fulfill service-learning requirements. This academic enrichment experience will focus on the following areas:
- Communication skills through interpretation of animal exhibits
- Public engagement in conservation through development of a social media campaign
- Research and engineering design through development and evaluation of animal enrichment programs
- Animal husbandry and invertebrate aquaculture through horseshoe crab conservation
A minimum number of students are required to run the program.
The internship is sold as an 8-week experience; weeks cannot be sold separately.
Mystic Aquarium has established stringent guidelines to ensure student and educator safety. See full guidelines below.
Internship Health & Safety
In accordance with the State of Connecticut, Mystic Aquarium strictly adheres to all state guidelines for COVID safety:
- Each class will have a maximum of 14 students.
- Before each program, all staff and students will be screened for any observable illness, including cough or respiratory distress, and to confirm temperature below 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Staff and students who have a temperature greater than 100 degrees will not be permitted into the program.
- If a student develops any symptoms during the day, they will be immediately relocated to a dedicated area to await parental/guardian pick-up.
- Classes will adhere to the Connecticut Department of Education’s guidelines for public schools with established socially distant workspaces.
- Staff will always wear face coverings while working with students.
- Mystic Aquarium will mirror the Stonington Public School policy for students regarding wearing face coverings in the classrooms. Additionally, students are required to wear face coverings when not in their dedicated learning spaces. Exceptions will be made for anyone with documentation that wearing a face covering would be contrary to his or her health or safety because of a medical condition.
- Increased vigilance will be given to our already thorough cleaning and disinfecting procedures.
- Instructors will teach and reinforce good hand and respiratory hygiene and social distancing. Sanitation policies will include hand washing/sanitizing before all snacks, meals and upon re-entry into the classroom. Any specialized learning tools used by Mystic Aquarium will be sanitized in between uses.