On behalf of our entire staff, thank you for your continued support of and trust in Mystic Aquarium! You’ve always known our mission – to inspire people to care for and protect our ocean planet. During these unprecedented times, we are keenly focused on protecting our community as well.
As we welcome guests back to enjoy our indoor and outdoor habitats, we have made some very important changes to the visitor experience to help ensure the safety of guests, employees, volunteer and, of course, our animals.
The guidelines listed below are TEMPORARY and will be lifted once it is safe to do so in accordance with state and federal guidelines.
safety protocols include:
- Advanced purchase of online timed-tickets for admission with a set maximum capacity for each time frame. Click here for more information.
- Discreet mandatory temperature screenings* for guests at Aquarium entry.
- One-way pathway throughout campus with clear social distance markers.
- Guests and employees will be required to wear face coverings (covering nose and mouth) when on Aquarium grounds.*
- Outfitting of staff and volunteers with Personal Protection Equipment.
- Placement of additional disinfectant wipes, hand sanitizer and hand-washing stations throughout the facility.
- Physical barriers and other safety related infrastructure changes.
Mystic Aquarium follows strict cleaning standards year-round and increased vigilance will be exercised during this time of concern regarding COVID-19.
- Our dedicated custodial staff performs continual and rigorous cleaning of all areas on campus with EPA-registered disinfectants in accordance with CDC guidelines.
- The Aquarium is equipped with the Goodway Technologies BIOSPRAY 10 portable sanitizing system in order to more thoroughly disinfect public spaces and surfaces around campus. More about BIOSPRAY can be found here.
- All new safety and cleaning measures will be taken to reinforce and ensure the already high standards followed for the safety of the animals.
- A dedicated, full-time overnight crew will continue deep cleaning of all spaces after close of business each day.
- New and renewed training of all custodial and guest services staff is ongoing.
- Regular refresher training for cleaning protocols are scheduled regularly in accordance with state mandates.
Mystic Aquarium has completed self-certification for reopen under CT’s Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD).
Mystic Aquarium employees will continue to have the full support of management to stay home should they feel ill in any way.
We are in constant communication with state and federal officials, Center for Disease Control and the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, and are working diligently within all guidelines to support all activities to protect public health and restore Connecticut’s quality of life. Visitors who choose to visit Mystic Aquarium during this time should be aware of the potential risks.
Please visit our social media channels for the latest updates including our YouTube channel for regular briefings from our Director of Safety and Security, Nate Fague.
Email SafetyConcerns@MysticAquarium.org for questions regarding these safety protocols.
*Mystic Aquarium reserves the right to deny campus access. Mystic Aquarium follows Connecticut state mandated regulations and will not require the use of a mask or cloth face covering by anyone for whom doing so would be contrary to their health or safety due to a medical condition, anyone under the age of two years or by an older child if the parent, guardian or person responsible for the child is unable to place the mask safely on the child’s face.
By Executive Order of the Governor: Guests must have a doctor’s note available to be eligible for the facial covering medical exemption. For guests who qualify for the exemption, wristbands must be worn for the duration of their visit.